- This is where Faith and Reason meet!
- Introducing Tom Gilson, Editor of True Reason:Confronting the Irrationality of the New Atheism
- Tom’s story about the book
- What is New Atheism?
- The term was coined by Gary Wolfe in Wired Magazine
- New Atheism is militantly opposed to religion
- Are Christianity and Science really opposed to each other? We think not.
- 12th Century Scientists didn’t have centuries of history telling them that it’s productive to spend you time in the lab
- They studied to gain knowledge of God’s creation.
- If Christianity is so pro science, then why do Christians persecute so many scientists?
- Galileo’s story is an anomaly and had more to do with politics than with science
- What about the evidence?
- The Church encourage Copernicus to publish his book on the heliocentric view.
- What about the “Group-think” idea concerning science in the 12th century?
- If that were the case, then creativity would have been stifled… but it wasn’t!
- A BIBLE CONTRADICTION via infidels.org
- Does God tempt?
- Genesis 22:1 – God tempted Abraham vs James 1:13 – God does not tempt anyone
- What is the fallacy of equivocation?
- Logic plays a huge role in the argument for/against God
- New Atheism typically passes over logic
- New Atheism can often equate with Naturalism
- Naturalism can be blown away by asking “What is a thought?”
- Jeff’s onstage antics and their effect on the front row
- Christianity is consistent with true reason
This show originally aired April 13th, 2014
Visit Thinking Christian Website
Purchase True Reason: Confronting the Irrationality of the New Atheism by Tom Gilson and Carson Weitnauer
Visit the Ratio Christi website