- God’s imminence (nearness)
- Jeff’s sled story
- Proximity is a huge deal
- How close is God to us
- Psalm 139:7
- Dave and his hypothetical/rhetorical
- Psalm 139:8
- Psalm 139:9-10
- There is no place on Earth that you can go to get away from God
- Psalm 139:11-12
- GOD IS VERY NEAR!
- God’s presence is everywhere
- A.W. Tozer’s bucket/ocean analogy
- This is God’s relationship to the Universe
- God penetrates EVERYTHING
- Why does God sometimes feel so far away?
- A lesson from Greek Mythology: Dionysus
- 1 Kings 8:27
- God is too big to be contained
- Hosea 11:9
- God is: Perfect, Sinless and always does what is right
- Dave and Jeff: Sinners and imperfect
- A.W. Tozer – Communing with animals?
- The natures of fish and man / man and God
- It’s not a matter of being closer to God, but to have fellowship with God, we need a DIFFERENT NATURE.
- This is why scripture talks about becoming a new creation
- Jeff and his relationship with a fish
- God became man… so He could get to know us!
- Dave and his pet fish
- We can’t have a relationship with God because we are to dissimilar
- So the answer is to CHANGE OUR NATURE
- John 3:19-21
- The primary reason we don’t sense the presence of God is because we DON’T WANT to sense the presence of God.
- 1 John 1:5-7
- We must desire God in order to change our nature
- What is ‘walking in the light’?
Submission to God or the Government
1 Peter 2:13 vs. Acts 5:29
“I was very upset one day and I told a friend about it and said that I knew if I could just calm down enough to pray I’d feel better. My friend said that it’s prayer that changes you, not God. Is that true or is there more to it?”