- How do Christians mess up politics?
- Christians are a powerful voting block vs. The Church is not a political party
- The Church is a mission
- Mark 8:34-36
- The Church is a way of sacrificial living
- Galatians 5:22-23
- Galatians 5:19-21
- We’re not a voting block – we’re people who live differently than the politicians!
- The government is how Christians influence the world. vs. The government is NOT the primary way that Christians influence the world.
- Donald Laine Clucas quote
- From the 2014 Global Anabaptist Profile study in comparison to what percent said they engaged in this behavior at least “once a month.”
- Michael Gorma
- The government and the Church have similar roles vs. The government and the Church have completely different roles in society; roles that sometimes conflict.
- Romans 13:1-5
- Richard Kyle quote
- What should the Church do?
- James 1:27
- 1 Timothy 3:15-16
- I reject that idiot in the other political party! vs. Government is ordained by God, and we must obey and respect even when we disagree (except in Spiritual matters, or where it conflicts with God).
- Romans 13:1
- Matthew 5:43-48
- Acts 4:19
- The Government is redeemable vs. The Government is only partially redeemable, but mostly corrupted and part of the world system, until Christ returns.
- 2 Peter 3:10
- Richard Kyle quote
- Christ redeems us, that’s our point – nothing else. And he will redeem the world, eventually.
- 1 Corinthians 3:19-21
- That scripture is primarily about, “Don’t look to humans, look to Christ! Don’t look at the Apostle Paul, look at Jesus” … but the thought extends to politics.
- Don’t look to the Republicans or Democrats or Libertarians… look to Jesus for complete redemption.
- BIBLE CONTRADICTION
- Is the serpent good or bad?
- Genesis 3:1 vs. Matthew 10:16
Read: Article: Anabaptist and Reformed Attitudes Toward Civil Government
Read: Article: The “gospel of Christiopolitics”
2 Responses to Five Reasons Christians Mess Up Politics
I know my wife Joanie already wrote to you, but I wanted to send a personal note too.
I was ust going through some stuff on the internet and happened to come across your site. As I am in California I didn’t know about the two of you until now. Viewed the discussion on “5 Ways Christians Mess Up Politics.” Loved it. Thanks for using the quote from “Christiopolitics.” Keep up the good work. Blessings, Don.
Glad you had the resource there, Don! Great stuff.