The Problem of God is a book written by a skeptic who became a Christian and then a pastor, all while exploring answers to the most difficult questions raised against Christianity. Mark Clark grew up in an atheistic home, and after his father’s death, began a skeptical search for truth through exploring science, philosophy, and history, asking the big questions of life, and eventually finding answers in Christianity.
The Problem of Hypocrisy
- Do not judge the church on its past
- Mythology vs Truth
- The mythology created around the violence of church history has been greatly exaggerated
- Actual facts trump concocted conspiracy theories
- Understand that not everything done in the name of the church was done by people who were actually Christian
- The church is full of hypocrites because it’s a hospital, not a country club.
The Problem of Sex
- God is not anti-sex. He created sex, but in the context of marriage.
- God created sex to be pleasurable.
- The best sex is between married people.
The Problem of Hell
- This is absolutely a personal question for many people.
- It is less logical and more repulsion. But just because it doesn’t feel good to us, doesn’t make it illegitimate.
- The idea of a God of justice and wrath is not much a problem with most of the world. It’s particularly a problem for people in America.
The Problem of Science
- Has technology pushed God into the realm of
- The Universe began to exist… what caused it?
- How does modern biology compare to the biology of Darwin’s day?
- Information in DNA is not random… it’s intelligent.
The Problem of the Bible
- What is the Bible?
- Does God speak to us through scripture?
- The bias against the Bible compared to other literature vs actual manuscript evidence.
- Counter-productive literature in the Bible lends more credence to the Bible being true rather than not.
The Problem of God’s Existence
- The Moral Law: Why do we all agree on what is wrong and right?
- If you have a Moral Law – it begs the question: who is the Moral Law giver?
Jesus taught resistance, or was it non-resistance?
John 2:15-16 vs. Matt 5:39-40
Get the Book: The Problem of God by Mark Clark at Amazon.com
Get to Know: Pastor Mark Clark