Church is where we find healing and forgiveness!
If Jesus didn’t rise from the dead, then all of this is pointless!
But if He did, then we have a real reason to celebrate
Proof of Jesus death and resurrection (F.E.A.T.)
- Fatal Torment
- Empty Tomb
- Luke 22:44 – The condition: Hematidrosis – it is a real, but rare, medical condition where one’s sweat contains blood. The sweat glands have tiny blood vessels around them that can rupture during moments of severe stress. This causes blood to mix with sweat. The condition also makes the skin extremely fragile.
- When Jesus is arrested, he was severely beaten then scourged (called the “half-death”). Many people who are scourged do not survive.
- A crown of thorns was placed upon His head and was then BEATEN into his brow.
- Jesus is crucified by Roman Executioners. These men were professional executioners. They did it DAILY. They knew how to crucify people.
- To insure death after several hours, Jesus is pierced with a spear that ran through His lung and His heart
- Jesus was placed inside a tomb after His death
- After a couple of days, the tomb was empty
- Both the Jewish and the Roman governments agreed that Jesus’ body was gone
- Satyricon, a Roman Historian, noted that Roman soldiers would rather kill themselves than to face a court-marshall
- 1 Corinthians 15:3-8 Jesus appeared to, at minimum, 500 people, on 12 different occasions spread over a 40-day period of time
- Paul even declares some of them were still alive at the time of his writing
- The first consensus was: JESUS IS DEAD AND NOT WORTHY OF PRAISE!
- Thomas and Peter both transformed from skeptics to martyrs
- James, the brother of Jesus, was executed for his belief that Jesus had risen.
- Acts 9:1-2 Saul (later Paul) arrested and many times presided over the death of Christians yet, later, he converted and was executed for his beliefs
- All the disciples went to their deaths declaring that they had seen the risen Christ
- Each of the disciples rejected their historical religious norms and embraced the New Covenant
God does / does not help those who need it.
Psalm 46:1 vs Psalm 22:1-2