There are a number of ways to study the Bible, but Bible Study is an absolute MUST
You can simply read it.
You can memorize sections.
You can read the whole Bible in a year (follow an online program to do that).
There is the SOAK method – LINK
Here is a good way to study:
- Pick a time that you will be able to do this every single day. Your goal is to make your roots go deep down into the ground… to know God deeply and well so that when trouble and worldly wealth comes, it doesn’t not choke you out.
- Start reading a book of the Bible, for instance 1 Corinthians
- Look for:
- Promises – something God promises us
- Principles – a principle we should understand about God/us/world/etc
- Warnings – a warning we should get about God/us/world/etc
- Restrictions – a rule that God gives: “do not” type things
- Instructions – a rule that God gives: “do” type things
EXAMPLE STUDY / 1 Corinthians 1
In verse 7, you read: “Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift…”
that’s a promise. We will NEVER lack ANY Spiritual gift.
Who was he writing to?
verse 2 says to “the church.” He wasn’t writing to 1 person but a whole Church.
Now we write down:
PROMISE: God makes sure that is Church has all Spiritual gifts needed to help people know him.
PRINCIPLE: I alone don’t have everything I need, I must be part of a body of believers!
Continuing on in verse 7: “you do not lack any spiritual gift AS YOU EAGERLY WAIT for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed.”
PRINCIPLE: longing and waiting for Jesus Christ is an important part of using my Spiritual gifts. The verse said we don’t lack “as you…” like, while you’re waiting for Jesus… you don’t lack it.
Verse 8: He will also keep you firm to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.
PROMISE: It is God that keeps me firm, and not myself, and he’ll keep me that way until the end.
Verse 9: God is faithful, who has called you into fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
PROMISE: GOD IS FAITHFUL.
PRINCIPLE: Since God wants to keep me firm to the end, and God is always faithful, I can trust God’s work in my life – even when I don’t understand it. Even when it “feels all wrong” I know that God is faithful and I should embrace that.
INSTRUCTION: God called me into fellowship with Jesus Christ. I must “do” the work of knowing Jesus better through “fellowship” – friendship, talking with him, thinking about him…
How many animals were on the ark
Genesis 7:15 vs Genesis 7:2